Everything you’ve always wanted to know about your Facebook business page but were afraid to ask
You are not the first person who creates a fan page for his/her brand or business and then decides to change its name. Nor are you the only person who created two fan pages with different objectives, which over time have come to share a common one, and you now find it too time-consuming to have to update two pages about the same thing. If you are one of those persons who change up their minds (just like we do!), here are some solutions for the changes you would like to implent on your page.
1. How can I change my fan page name?
If you have less than 200 fans:
Page admins and content designers can easily change the fan page name following these steps:
- Click on “Edit page” on the top of the page and select the “Update page info” on the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Edit” next to the name, change it and save the changes.
If you have over 200 fans:
You need to fill in a form to request a change of name. Therefore, for pages with over 200 fans, you need to follow the steps above and, instead of changing the name and saving changes, you need to click on “Request change”.
When you change the name and click on “Request change“, a mechanised process will start. Depending on the reason for change (i.e. spelling mistake or a more significant change), it will take more or less time for Facebook to implement the change.
Before you request the change, I suggest you take a little look at the Guidelines for Page names.
2. How do I merge two different fan pages that serve a single purpose?
If you are the page admin for two different pages, you can merge them into a single one, in case they serve the same purpose and have similar names. To do so, you just need to follow the steps below:
- Go to the Facebook page you want to keep and click on “Edit page”. Then, select “Edit settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the “Merge pages” option from the “Edit settings” menu.
- Here you will be asked to either select a page to merge your other page into or to fill in a form (just like we explained earlier) to request the combination of your pages.
- In the second case, you will be asked to fill in the form and select the pages you want to merge and the page you want to keep.
What happens once you merge the two fan pages?
- The ‘Likes’ and ‘check-ins’ will merge.
- All other content in the page will be permanently deleted from the page you merge: this includes posts, pictures and username.
- The content of the page you are keeping will remain the same (except for the increase in the number of ‘Likes ‘ and ‘check-ins’ as a result of the combination).
- The page you merge will be removed from Facebook and the change will be irreversible.